I was recently asked to transcribe a series of essays published last year into a single manuscript. The result is available for free download (subject to Creative Commons protections).
A reimagining of the seal and flag of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Remain ready at all times and in all places
- Approach every opportunity to receive help
- Adopt the adventures of Robin Hood
- Avoid the culture of sports
- Honor all women at all times
- Treat all men as equals at all times
- Think about your own death only enough to prepare
- Be careful never to become too comfortable
- Borrow as little as possible
- Learn to sharpen blades
- Delight in good food and drink
- Find a trade and a bride and a place
This past weekend, I had the privilege of participating in the first workshop offered by Umbau School’s new Studio Shenandoah in Staunton, Virginia. Umbau, which means something like transformation zone, is a school of studios—or places of focused study.
Whenever feasible, I’m an advocate of value-based pricing in creative work and particularly digital work. Having tracked and billed hours for many years, I understand the model and that it’s sometimes appropriate, but I think the future is fixed.
Herein lies the paradox: if our ego can convince us that the pain of bearing hard things isn’t worth the strength that comes from it, we will never be excellent. We will be comfortable and mediocre.